Let’s chat about the NEW Rat Queens!
If you haven’t watched my Whatchya Reading video that I released earlier this month and/or haven’t been paying attention, Rat Queens is back! That’s right, the fearsome foursome has returned to crassly save your ass…ly.
If anyone remembers, because it was a big deal and the reason Rat Queens ultimately went down in a ball of flames, a ton of drama happened regarding Upchurch (a FORMER artist on the comic), Tess Fowler (also former but she was great) and Kurtis Wiebe (the writer of the comic). To summarize, Upchurch is a wife-beater, questionable choices were made by Wiebe and Tess got the hell out. You can read more on it HERE because I don’t want to focus on it too much as it enrages me. Moving on. It’s back and the third issue with be dropping in July it seems.
What to know about Rat Queens:
1. The comic originally focused on a group of four extremely strong, diverse and magical ladies who have formed a badass bounty hunting group for hire. They are looked down upon by other groups/guilds and often find themselves in the thick of a bad situation.
MAIN CHARACTER ROLL CALL:
- Hannah, a super powerful half-demon mage with a fowl mouth.
- Dee, the atheist cleric cult leader of a clan that worships something akin to Cthulhu.
- Betty, a “smidgen” who gets high on candy and other such sugary treats.
- Violet, the rebellious dwarf who very well might be the strongest physical fighter in the series so far.
There are of course other characters but, those are your main girls. They recently added another Rat Queen to the group, a transfer technically, and it’s great.
2. There are a ton of sex jokes, unladylike conversations, tender moments and everything is fantastic. As someone who is more unladylike than my mother would like me to be, this comic speaks to me. The Rat Queens feel like friends… is that weird?
3. The cosplay potential is TOO DAMN HIGH! I’m already planning to debut Dee (I know so many have done her already, whateves) at BlerdCon this June! I love Dee for her shy demeanor, big hair and even bigger books! Additionally this will be my first [completed and for me] cosplay!
4. It’s something different. It’s not filled with ultra moral characters who always know what the right thing to do is. It’s not filled with a ton of power creep (see any anime series of you do not understand what power creep is). It’s not the same body type over and over just drawn with a different hair style either, everyone looks unique. This comic is just so impressive and it’s a fun read.
I could go on and on about how happy having this comic back and running as made me but, in the interest of getting you guys to go get it faster, I’ll stop here. Seems sufficient!
If you have already been reading this lovely roller coaster of a comic, let me know! Let’s talk about it for hours over sweets and tea. If you haven’t and want to know more, then feel free to hit me up on any of my social medias. I’m lonely and work from home, trust me, I’ll respond.
UPDATE: after my post, @Shanjams84 responded with valuable information on the situation involving the drama previously mentioned. She makes it clear that Tess was never meant to be a placeholder while seemingly shady things went on.
Big thanks to @shanjams84 for the information. It’s comepletely understandable that she couldn’t provide more information as this is still on-going it seems.
Hugs and Kisses XO – Neeks